The JBay Wind Farm MTB Classic truly is one of a kind. The event – previously called the JBay MTB Open – is now in its fourth year and carries the unique distinction of being the only MTB event in Africa to run through a wind farm.
Riders taking part in all three routes – 25km, 50km and 85km – will be racing through the wind farm, riding along roads that are interspersed by the wind turbines towers. Here are some stats to whet your appetite:
- 80m – the height of each of the turbines.
- 500m – how far they are spread apart.
- 3 700 hectares – the size of the farm.
- 60 – the number of wind turbines. (This project is one of the first and largest wind farms in South Africa.)
- 460 000 MWh – how much the farm produces per year, supplying enough clean renewable electrical energy to power more than 100 000 average South African households.